Friday 1 October 2010

Drawing 1 - Making Marks

Hello,
This is the first post of my learning log, concentrating on the various exercises for making marks.

Exercise: Holding pens & pencils -  

I watched the mark making video tutorial on the oca website prior to starting this exercise and found it quite useful. It can be a bit daunting faced with a blank piece of paper, even for just a basic exercise, but the video gave me the confidence to just go for it. It was nice just playing around with different materials and making various marks. I didn't feel I had much control when holding the pencil at the top and the lines were very light, however holding the pencil nearer the nib gave me more control and allowed for heavier marks.

  
Holding pens & pencils

Exercise: Doodling

This exercise was just fun to do, I just relaxed into it and doodled away! I always find myself drawing flowers or circles when I doodle, this led to the larger piece (Doodle 2), which I am quite pleased with.

Doodle 1

Doodle 2

Doodle 3

Doodle 4



Exercise: Mark-making techniques

I enjoyed this exercise also, just experimenting with different media. I especially enjoyed working with charcoal.

Mark making

Exercise: Using Charcoal

After doing this exercise I realised just how versitile charcoal is, it makes me want to draw big! Its good to create texture and different effects. I think charcoal would be good to use on a large piece or for doing a quick drawing. Obviously this is a good medium for blocking in large areas and for creating contrasts with dark areas and highlights. I was inspired to carry on experimenting so decided to draw my couch  (Charcoal 4) as this was dark and I thought I could capture the highlights on it with the putty rubber. Its not brilliant, but I'm quite pleased with it.


Charcoal 1

Charcoal 2

Charcoal 3

Charcoal 4

Exercise: Line & Other Marks

I used various media for this from felt tip pens, biros, charcoal, pencils etc. This made me realise hat I enjoy using big thick medium such as charcoal or big thick felt tip pens, and I think I
prefer drawing big pieces rather that small detail.
Line & other marks














No comments:

Post a Comment